Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Upgrading from CR9 to......

Status
Not open for further replies.

redneckdiver

Technical User
Nov 9, 2009
US
We are looking to upgrade from Crystal 9 to either XIR2 or 2008. I am looking for the main differences between the two applications. Currently they are not using Crystal Server, but we are looking at the possibly of moving towards it for scheduling purposes.

Are there any formatting issues with upgrading from 9 to XI or 2008? I know when I went from 8.5 to 10 there were HUGE issues, especially upon export. Any insight would be highly appreciated! Thanks!

When we upgraded from CR9 to CRXI, the only issue I ran into was with the data dictionary from 9. XI doesn't have the data dictionary, it uses what they call a business view instead (personally I like the business view a little better). If you currently use a data dictionary, I believe there is actually a way to just migrate it over to a business view, but I opted to recreate mine so I could clean it up (someone else had been maintaining it before me). Otherwise, all of my stuff migrated over just fine.

You really want to upgrade to 2008 if you can - it saves you upgrades down the road. We've had no problems going from XI to 2008 that weren't specific to our processing (e.g., the PDF export is in a newer version of the PDF file so we had to update some of our code that reads PDF files.) Plus there are new features like Xcelsius integration, that are really cool.

-Dell

A computer only does what you actually told it to do - not what you thought you told it to do.

I'd recommend going to CR 2008 as well.

Some nice new features like optional parameters, embedded summaries and calculated members in a crosstab, and each section can be set to landscape/portrait to mix page orientations in one report.

Editor and Publisher of Crystal Clear

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back