Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Upgrading from CE/CR 8.5 to CE/CR 10

Status
Not open for further replies.

NipperP

Technical User
Aug 9, 2002
GB
We are currently considering upgrading from version CE/CR 8.5 to CE/CR version 10 was hoping there would be some people out there who have already done this and could maybe give some advice/guidance of any problems they encountered.

We have only slightly amended the basic Eportfolio (to add our company logo etc)

Any advice on how to start would be useful.

Thanks

Nipper

Hi,
So far we have found no issues/problems with our upgrade..

Create the V10 system on a clean machine( or machines for a multiple-server model)
( do not do an in-place upgrade - it can cause unexpected problems that can be hard to debug) and import the objects from the 8.5 system.

There are additional features in v10, but, at least so far, all of out existing 8.5 stuff runs the same in v10 which gives us time to revise and update them as needed to utilize the new features.

Have fun...
[profile]

There can be some SQL differences in reports.

And if you were duped into using the Crystal Query Designer or Crystal Dictionaries, you're going to be rewriting the reports.

I might also suggest avoiding Business Views as they are proprietary. If possible, create Views and Stored Procedures on the database.

-k

We are also in the same boat as yours. One big issue for which Business Objects has no solution yet is that we found that report headings to get misalligned when imported from CE 8 to CE 10 via import wizard.

gf (grouf function) is no longer supported in version 10. You need to use RAS for this

The are lots of other minor issues.

Aurobindo

Hi,
Sorry to hear of the alignment problem..So far, none of our imported 8.5 reports exhibit that ... I am not familiar with the gf function, so I cannot comment on that problem.

[profile]

PS: If it weren't for some of these problems, we might be out of work..[bigsmile]

Thanks for all the above comments one additional query.

We were looking to do an upgrade on the Live server instead of using a second server (we need the IP address to remain the same). You have mentioned this causes problems what sort of problems have you found??

Thanks

Nipper

Hi,
Since we did not use an in-place method, I cannot cite specific problems that ist may cause, just that it is generally a good practice to install major upgrades on a clean OS...
You may not have any problems with your situation.
As to the IP address, can't you set up the new machine with a temporary address and, after testing, change it to the one currently used by your 8.5 system?

[profile]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back