Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Upgrading from 10d to 12 - Worried About Maintaining Compatibility!

Status
Not open for further replies.

sfoley

IS-IT--Management
Jan 19, 2007
US
Hi everyone,

I'm currently running BE 10d which pulls backups off a variety of different windows platforms (Win2k, Win2k3 & Win2k3 64-Bit). I have a StorageTek SL500 (100 Slots) with four IBM LTO4 drives.

I'm now in a position where I need to add backups from SPARC Based Solaris 10 systems, running Oracle.

Being new to this, I'm not sure what is the best way to approach the problem (I considered looking into partitioning the library and installing NetBackup on a new server), but I think the best decision would be to upgrade to BE 12, since that supports Solaris 10 on SPARC CPUS. Here are my concerns:
[ol]
[li] I believe I need to re-purchase and re-install all my Remote Agents for Windows. Is this true? Also, is there any risk I will see a "Sorry, Windows 2000 isn't supported by BE 12!" after I make the jump?[/li]
[li] From the SCL, it would appear I need a 64-bit installation of BE 12 in order to support Solaris 10 (SPARC). Does this mean I need a 64-bit OS running a 64-bit verison of BE 12?[/li]
[li] How simply will it be for me to migrate my current jobs, selection lists, schedules etc. from 10d to 12? Especially considering they may need to be built on the same server with a fresh OS.[/li]
[/ol]

Thanks very much in advance!

Regards,
Seán Foley

You will need 64bit everything (agents, BUExec, OS).
Yes, you will need to purchace new agents.
12d will support 2000 SP4. The URL for the SCL is:
The jobs that are installed on your 32bit media server will migrate to 12d with no problem, as long as it's 32 to 32. I don't know if going to x64 will migrate cleanly. I'm working on that in my development/testing environment.

However, I strongly urge you to consider a clean installation of 12d.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back