Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Upgrading Exchange 5.5 server from NT 4.0 to W2K

Status
Not open for further replies.

MISBoston

IS-IT--Management
Sep 30, 2002
US
Hello. I need to upgrade the server running Exchange 5.5 from NT 4.0 to Windows 2000. This server is also my domain's PDC. If I simply upgrade by inserting the W2K CD-ROM and install W2K on top of NT 4.0, instead of doing a fresh install of W2K, will this upgrade affect in any way the current Exchange installation, and the ability of users to access their information store/email?

Doing an upgrade would be so much simpler that a fresh install of W2K.....should I have any problems?

Any suggestions would be really appreciated.

J. Bedsole
Boston

You shouldn't have any problems at all. Exchange 5.5 runs under Windows 2000.

-------------------------------

If it doesn't leak oil it must be empty!!

First you need to DCPROMO the PDC to BDC, promote your BDC to PDC, then upgrade the old PDC (don't do it while it's still the PDC!). If you want the W2K server to then be promoted to Domain Controller, run dcpromo again, promote the server (run in mixed mode). Then you can install AD with the wizard.

Corie

HI.

You can upgrade the server OS to Win2000, but you will need to use something called ADC (Active Directory Connector).

Look for more info here:
And the Exchange forums here at tek-tips.

You might also need to change the LDAP port on the server.

You may also have DNS issues.

If you have mirror of the system disks, break it before the upgrade. And anyway make sure that you have good backups of both system and data (in addition to the broken mirror).

If it is your first time with such an upgrade, better have a consultant on site to assist you . It is not a must but will help you avoid some common problems.

Another option is to to one step further, and upgrade to both WIN2003 and EXC2003 .
It will cost you more, but I think it is a better idea.

Bye

Yizhar Hurwitz

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back