Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Upgrading Exchange 2000 to 2003 & keeping same server name

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ballchops

IS-IT--Management
Jul 8, 2002
US
I have some confusion about how to accomplish my mission. I want to minimize downtime, and minimize risk should something go bad. I figured I would take this to the next level and post here.

The scenario:

I have a Windows 2000 domain 25 users and 2 servers named Server-File (only PDC) and Server-Mail (Exchange 2000). I want to replace the hardware on these two machines with new servers and upgrade the domain and exchange to Server 2003. I would like the name on the new Server-Mail to be the same name as the current Server-Mail so I have little configuration to do on the client end (unless I have no choice).

I figured I would add one of the new 2003 Servers to the domain and name it something like Server-Master. I would prep the 2000 domain for 2003, and DCPROMO the 2003 server. Once I got everything I needed off of the old Server-File I would Demote it and shut it down and verify that Exchange 2000 and everything else worked before taking it out of the loop and moving on with Exchange upgrades.

I guess I am unsure about how to proceed with upgrading Exchange since I am replacing hardware, upgrading from Exchange 2000 to 2003 and, trying to keep the same server name as Server-Mail.

How should I proceed to try to prevent as many bad things from happening as I can?

If you build a new server, called whatever you want (other than what you current server is called), and then run the MOVE MAILBOX wizard, Outlook clients will auto update as long as the old server is left running for each user to login once.

Pat Richard, MCSE(2) MCSA:Messaging, CNA(2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back