Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Upgrading EX07 to SP2 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 23, 2001
US
We am currently running Ex07 SP1 with rollup 9 and I want to upgrade to SP2. The server is 2003 R2 with the latest SP and updates in a 2003 R2 Domain, no 2008 DC's.
I don't expect any issues but I figured I would ask if anyone has had any problems or any issues with their upgrade.

Thanks for any input.

BobSchleicher

I've upgraded probably 100 servers to SP2 without issue. The normal caveats apply - disable AV, install the SP, install the rollups, enable AV.

Pat Richard MVP
Plan for performance, and capacity takes care of itself. Plan for capacity, and suffer poor performance.

Here's soemthing I've run into--watch out if you currently have some sort of HTTP redirect in place on the Default Web site to make users who go to automatically redirect to I've seen a couple of situations in which SP2 caused that redirect to cascade down into the other Exchange virtual directories and break OWA, ActiveSync and Outlook Anywhere until the inherited redirect was removed from each virtual directory.

Dave Shackelford MVP
ThirdTier.net

Rather than start a new post I am going to piggy back on this one.

I am going to install Exchange 07 SP2 on two different servers

1. Exch07 SP1 rollup 1 CAS/HUB server installed on Windows 2008 SP1 64 bit
2. Exch07 SP1 rollup 1 Mailbox server installed on Windows 2008 SP1 64 bit

My steps are as follows
1. Install Windows SP2 on both servers
2. Stop AV, MOM etc. as mention by 58sniper above
3. On CAS/HUB server update the Schema by running setup /PrepareSchema
4. On CAS/HUB server prepare AD by running setup /PrepareAD
5. On CAS/HUB server install Exch SP2
6. On Mailbox server install Exch SP2

Am I missing anything here guys ?

Thanks

You don't have to stop MOM, but you should put the server into maintenance mode (not sure if that's in MOM, but it's in SCOM). Also, you should flip steps 1 and 2.

You don't mention installing any Exchange SP2 update rollups. See my blog post at
You also don't mention installing any OS (Microsoft) updates, which should be done after step 2.

And most importantly, before step 1 and after step 6 - BACKUP!

Pat Richard MVP
Plan for performance, and capacity takes care of itself. Plan for capacity, and suffer poor performance.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back