Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Upgrading drive to 30Gb----PROBLEMS!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

aquamarineafterglow

Technical User
May 24, 2001
US
Hi all,

I have a gateway pii 233mhz. I had a quantum 4.2 Gb HD in it and according to what everyone was telling me, my hard drive was dying. It had gotten to the point where if I was running windows, it would go to blue screen and say "could not write to drive C" and on a cold boot, it would not even find the operating system. The quantum is about 3.5 years old, so I suppose it was time!!!! I have now installed a maxtor 30Gb drive and now when I startup my computer with several boot up disks that I have (one that came with the maxtor, a win 95 bootup, and a winME boot up disk) None of the boot up disks will work. The floppy drive is acting strangely, the light comes on at cold boot whether or not threre is a floppy in it or not and stays on the whole time the power is on. If I put a floppy in, the drive will spin it, just not read it. I have double checked all the connections and they are ALL correct. Has my floppy drive now went caput? Or is there something that I don't know that I'm supposed to do at this point? Any help would be appreciated!! Oh, also, the cmos is picking up the maxtor and it's settings perfectly, I didn't have to flash it!

Thanks in advance,

Aqua

well i have a 233 mmx also, da floppy also went dead, and wen i tried to put another 1 in, it didnt work also. i juss dink da systemz a piece of s*** so i dun even wanna worrie bout it now. buh even tho ur connectionz r g'd dere still mite be sumthin wrong wit it, it mite be ur drive dats screwy, or prob juss da comp itself, for me it was both.... so i was screwed either way. neways g'd luck wit ur prob

reverse the floppy lead at either the floppy end or the board end

Hi,
If by lead you mean the cable that runs from the board to the floppy, I have checked that three times, there is only one way in which it will fit because of the notches on the cable. Does that make sense? Of course, I'm here asking you guys for help because I am certainly not as technically savvy as you all, so any info is considered a god-send at this point, I have been without a computer at my home for 3 weeks now, all because the floppy will not run any disk!!! No floppy......no computer at this point!! Thanks though for any help anyone can give me!!

Grateful,
Aqua

hai can u change your floppy drive and check it.the hard disk problem can be solved by using disk manager.go to the hard disk manufacturer site,from there u can download disk manager.if your hard disk is quantum go to windrivers.com.from there go to quantum site .you can download the disk manager software.by using this software u can make partition and it will erase your hard disk contents.then i think by god's grace you can use your old hard disk,because quantum is a very good hard disk indded better than maxtor.if u get a good result,E_mail me at shebeer@yahoo.com

PLA is right; if the floppy drive light comes on and stays on, the cable is reversed. If the end on the motherboard only fits one way, the reverse the end on the drive itself. Floppies aren't like HDD's -- the red side of the cable does NOT always go closest to the power plug; I have seen them both ways.

Ok......that's what everyone is telling me, but the cable end that goes into the floppy only fits one way, there is a notch at one side so it has to go that way. The other end of the cable is notched on one side to fit into the motherboard. The cables themselves will not go into the slots unless they are a certain way. That's what is confusing me. I can't turn them upside down, the notch wont fit the slot on either the floppy end nor the motherboard end!

Aqua

hi,

i've had the same problem with a computer i just built. the cable would only fit in one way, so i assumed it to be correct. i had to cut the little notch off of the floppy cable to make it fit into the floppy drive. this fixed my problem. make sure you make new boot disks as well because mine were ruined when the cable was the opposite way.

good luck

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back