Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Upgrading Domino from 5.0.10 to 6.5

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 13, 1999
MT
Hi Everyone!

Has anyone done an upgrade from 5.0.10 to 6.5? Our current mail server is running under Windows NT Server 4.0 and besides upgrading to Domino 6.5 I also wish to upgrade to Windows 2003 Standard Server.
Any best pracices/tips would be appreciated.

TIA
Pierre

Hello,

We went from 5.12 to 6.3 and also upgraded to 2003 in one of our offices.

I would get a file level back up of your Domino Data Directory and Notes.ini, upgrade to Windows 2003, and then stabalize R5 by installing Domino, rename the default Data Folder and notes.ini, copy back the Data folder and Notes.ini, and bring the server up. Now it should be on the new OS, and I would monitor for a day or so.

Then you can easily upgrade to R6.5 by following the upgrade documentation from Domino. From my experience, it pays to have another box. That way if it goes bad (usually over a weekend), you can always down the new box and go with the old.

Let me know if you have any questions, I'm sure some other people will have stuf to add.

Rgds,

John

Hi John

Thanks for the post. Is IBM's tech document 'Upgrading to Lotus Notes and Domino 6' applicable to 6.5 also?
I tried searching for any docs relating to 6.5 but could not find anything so I am assuming that this document is applicable to 6.5 as well.

Thanks
Pierre

Hey,

Yes, I don't think the 6.5 version changes much as far as "procedure" goes. You should be fine, but I always run it through a lab machine first. Force of habit...

Rgds,

John

Hi,

We have just moved from 5.010 to 6.5 in french using web access as mail client, and still have some trouble with some mail dbs (mail not shown in the Inbox folder, have to clik on all documents to see them, in some mail dbs we can't edit the contacts, we also had a hard time having it in French. So as Packet7 says, first install on a test machine, try several dbs, then go to production, you will get less stress ....

Let us know how it goes,

Laurence

Hey Laurence,

Just curious. Did you use "Convert" on your mail DB's, or just a design refresh? Also, did you go from R5 Standard Mail to iNotes R6?

Thanks!

Rgds,

John

Hi John,

We used design refresh on our mail db's. And we were already using Inotes in V5. Finally, it seems that the main problem came from the French language pack : we installed Domino in English, then added the French language pack, which was not the way we should have done it : we should have used the replace option during the installation of the language pack. We did the replacement, and now things are quite ok.

Regards,

Laurence

Hey,

Great. I'm glad you fix the problem.

Rgds,

John

Hi I want to do the same in a test situation to upgrade 5.0.11 to 6.5 I have seen the documentation and there is quite a lot of it. Could you supply a brief outline of the main steps involved from going from 5 to 6.5

Thanks [pipe]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back