Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Upgrading CPU in my Lenovo M58p!

Status
Not open for further replies.

HarryWild

Technical User
Sep 21, 2004
US
Currently have a Duo Core 2 E8400 in my M58p.

I am thinking a lot between Intel's Xeon X3000 series vs. Intel Duo Core 2 Quad 9000 series. And if I should buy used vs new.

My M58p can accept up to Q9650 Processor. But I can get a better deal and much less abused processor if I go and buy a Xeon X3370. Cost is about $60-$100 less used. I could go cheap and get the Q9550(then same price as the X3370) but the difference is $50 or so between the Q9650 used; new is $70 difference!

Performance difference between Q9550 and Q9650 is minimium but Q9650 has much more swagger behind it! Xeon has even more swagger since it a server processor.

A couple of post from Ebay refurbish processor sellers had this which made me think:

"

The Intel Xeon X3380. These processors are Virtually NEW. Hardly used, these chips were installed into Dell R200 Servers, which saw almost no runtime at all. These CPU's shine like the day they came off the assembly line, with very faint smooth spots from the heatsink pressure. there is absolutely no damage on these CPU's, and they aren't even discolored from time.

These processors are GUARANTEED to work with ANY motherboard that would normally support a Q9000-series Core 2 Quad.

!!! Please Note you may need a BIOS update before running this chip, depending on when you bought your board !!!
If your system can already rund a Q9000 -series Core 2 Quad, then you should be good to go.

This processor is the Xeon Equivalent of the extremely rare (and expensive) Q9700. It outpaces the popular Q9650 and QX9650 at a blistering 3.16GHz

It also has an economical advantage over the QX9770. It has the more accommodating 1333MHz bus speed, meaning you wont need to find some insanely expensive motherboard for it to work.

GENERAL

Core
Multi-Core
Model Yorkfield
Quad-Core
X3380

SPECS

Operating Frequency
Bus
L2 Cache
Manufacturing Tech
64-bit Support
Virtualization Support 3.16 GHz
1333MHz
12MB
45 nm
Yes
Yes

PERFORMANCE

Voltage
Thermal Design Power (TDP) 0.85V - 1.3625V
95 Watts

"

I was taught that new is always better; but reading on these overclocker forums; they always buy use maybe it because of their budget; but they never complain about it not working! I was concern with the bios compatibility too for the Xeon but these overclockers never had a problem either. And it funny since they buy the top of the line processors to overclock for speed.

What would you do if you were me?
1. Buy new or use
2. Xeon or Quad

Thanks.

Overclockers don't buy Lenovo.............Lenovo locks down there BIOS, also, they are very strict about the cpu ID's they allow on the systems, I doubt they would have the cpuID for the Xeon. So you will most likely get an error that says unsupported CPU, not saying it won't work, just saying it will post an error on startup. You don't mention what you will be using the computer for, that you are looking to make it faster. Since it is a dead socket design, it may be worth more to save a bit and purchase a newer I5 or I7 system.

rclarke250,

I am upgrading my M58p - already put a new Samsung 830 SSD in, keyboard, mouse and a new power supply. I wanted to upgrade the CPU and heatsink and fan - doubling the speed and fully max out the memory at 8GB. My monitor is a top of line Lenovo ThinkVision which I payed a ton for but it still current after all these years does 1920 X 1200 and can tilt in portrait and landscape; as well as up and down. It cost more then my M58p. I upgraded to Windows 7 Ultimate Pro in 2009 - $300. Have Office Suite 2010 $400 and number of other software totaling another $2,000 on this machine.

I plan a budget no more the $800 for the total cost of the upgrade. I know I am strength things on such a tight budget but it will be okay if I go a little over that.

Just trying to modernize the machine. Originally paid around $1,200 for it back in 2007 got it on sale!

I am sure that the Xeon is in the bios already since Lenovo used that CPU in the Lenovo first generation workstation while they were in transition from IBM. I be willing to bet that its in the Lenovo - Phoenix Bios already. The Xeon X3300 series is a desktop CPU parallel
the Duo Core 2 Quad 9000 series. It is a concern however; since Intel will not comment on it and Lenovo said that they also are fussy on this topic too.

I might have to wait till the Q9770 goes down to another level then before I buy a CPU huh?

Thanks for your reply.

Oh! I forgot to mention that I could in desperation - load in a generic bios for the Lenovo M58p. I done this several times when I was young and there where restricts on several consumer brand motherboards that I will not mention since I would be bad mouthing them if I did. They still in business but one of them made a bad buy of a UK software company for 11 billion and now they had to write off 8 billion of it!

I decided to play it safe - since it is Lenovo top of the line desktop. Going with what is stated on the specs - Intel Quad Q9650! Still pricey!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back