Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Upgrading clients from 7.xx to 8.xx

Status
Not open for further replies.

vekara

IS-IT--Management
May 26, 2003
FI
Hi,

New with SAV and 500 clients to upgrade. What is the best way to upg. version 7.01 clients to 8.1.xxx version. I can make it easily with first reinstalling client, then reinstalling. Still there must be a better way than this (would take ages).

We have no AD or any software for central software deployment.

Thanks for info!

If you installed the full package with the CE Server that manages your clients, you can distribute software from there to the NT/2k/XP computers. Open the Symantec system center, and unlock your server group. Then choose the tools from the task bar up top and open the "NT Client" install. If loaded, this will start the wizard that will allow you to remotely install the new client software.

Pick a few computers that are near by, and experiment/play with it a bit. Off course you have to have admin rights to do this and a CE server to attach the clients too. Note: depending on network bandwidth, try doing the remote installs in small groups of say 10 or so.

If you didn't install the option, you can fire it off manually from the first CD. Pop it into the drive and run the Setup.exe. This will open the setup menu. Choose "Install Symantec AntiVirus". Then choose "Deploy Antivirus Client NT/2000/XP". This will then kick off the remote deploy client.

I've done this in the past, and it definatly reduced my pool of PC's I had to visit in person.

tony

I've discovered the remote installation rarely, if ever, works for an upgrade.

It's downright GREAT for a new workstation, but if you want to upgrade your clients wholesale, it aint gonna happen.

ESPECIALLY upgrading to SAV 8.1.

We found that we needed to manually uninstall 8.0 and then we could do a network installation of 8.1 from there. Pain the rear quadrant, but that's the way it works.

There's another thread where we discussed this same issue. Check inside this forum to find some more information.

J.R.

Yubman is correct above. I am not sure what problems the others have faced but I have done network upgrades for hundreds of PCs (and notebooks) from 7.6 - 8.x and they have worked to 100%. The only issue I did find was that clients needed to have netbios over tcp/ip enabled in some cases where they were not appearing in the network browse screen with list of all coimputers in the domain. You may have a problem if the administrator account you give to do the upgrade installs do not have admin rights on the users' pcs. In this case, the upgrade or uninstall/newinstall has to be done manually.

Claudius (What certifications??)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back