Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

upgrading and changing computers on a SMS primary site....

Status
Not open for further replies.

BrandX

IS-IT--Management
Feb 4, 2002
US
I have to install SMS 2.0 SP2 on a Windows 2000 System, here is out current configuration.

We currently have SMS 2.0 (no sp) on a old machine and there is only one network involved. We wanted to try it out.

Now, We have to install SMS 2.0 SP2 on Windows 2000 and I'm wondering how i should go about it.. considering that the old SMS is still online.... Should shutdown the old SMS? How are the clients affected?... Can I migrate the old SMS to the new machine and apply the service pack? If I keep the old SMS system up and install the new SMS... can there be two primary sites on the same network?

Any help would be appreciated.

Upgrade the current SMS Server with SP2 along with the secondary sites. It will take a few hours to upgrade the clients but will do so automatically. Then if you wish to add a new SMS Primary Site you can do so and attach the current primary site to it. If you do not upgrade your current Primary site and you install a new site server, you will run into problems with mismatch files.

I would like to tag another question onto this post, as it is along the same lines.
I will be building a replacement SMS 2.0 SP2 server with SQL7 that is a child site.
As there were a lot of problems with the original server, I would like to do a clean install of both products, and not import any info to the new server, just let it find what it finds.

From kareem3's post, it looks like the clients will deal just fine with the new server, but do I need to be concerned with the parent site? Or can I just add the address to the parent site, and let it scope it out?

Any testimonials or random thoughts are welcome.
Thank You
aliengry.gif

[TAG]
anongod@hotmail.com
"Drawing on my fine command of language, I said nothing."

If you are upgrading the clients will be fine, but replacing no. Your best bet is to back up the database of the site to be replaced. Configure the replacement server with the same name, address, drive configuration, domain etc. You can do a clean install of SMS and SQL. Then you can retrive the backup to the new replacement. If you do not do that the clients will become orphans. Then you will have to remove and reinstall the clients. Hope I made sense there

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back