Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

upgrading ADSL means change of IP addresses

Status
Not open for further replies.

dogsbod

Technical User
Sep 25, 2003
GB
Hi,

I been tasked with increasing our bandwidth for internet\email communications. In my case this means a new set of ip addresses.

I'm planning on installing another router and firewall for the new adsl line and specifying the firewalls wan ip as prefered mailserver and our current wan ip as the second mailserver on our DNS server mx records. Then eventually taking down the old adsl line. Is this the correct way to go? thanks

That sounds fine to me. Before you install the new ADSL line, it might be worth considering the use of an alternative connection type? Perhaps cable, then downgrading the old ADSL line to minimal bandwidth. You'd then have some nice redundancy should the BT network go down in your area.

Always worth looking at options like this when you're doing work on it anyway :)

Carlsberg don't run I.T departments, but if they did they'd probably be more fun.

its nice to know when you're on the right track, ta.

ADSL 24 Hour turn around time for repair, T1, 4 Hour turn around time for repair.
Just a thought.

Not really, it depends on your SLA. Our DSL lines have 8 hour max repair time and a backup line from NTL now. The price comes in so much lower than a T1 we couldn't hope to justify it.

We do have Leased lines, but only where absolutely necessary.

Carlsberg don't run I.T departments, but if they did they'd probably be more fun.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back