Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Upgrading a webserver (CE9, CR9, IIS, etc)

Status
Not open for further replies.

doubletoker

IS-IT--Management
Jun 20, 2002
US
I am trying to upgrade a Win2k server to a new box. This server runs CE9, CR9, SQL Server, IIS (webserver only), and a couple of third party softwares. The question is what would be a good path to take to transfer the databases and settings from the old box to the new one. I am not able to take down the production server until the new server is ready. The server runs our website and supplies reports on various things to the users. The reports are ran through the crystal viewer. I am new to this so any help would be appreciated.

Hi,
One way:
Do a 'clean' install the software on the new server
( CE,CR, etc,. ) and set up the APS ( using whatever database you choose)..
Once this new installation is up and running, use the Import wizard to copy your existing CE structure and objects, etc. to the new server..

Test, then Test some more..

If all goes well , switch the users to the new location for their reports, Eportfolio, etc..

If no screams of outrage after a week or 2 [smile], shut down ( but do not remove) the older server.
Wait for more screams of outrage [bigsmile], and if none..archive the contents of the old server ( just in case) and then you can reuse the old server for something else.

[profile]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back