Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Upgrading a Proliant Rack Server

Status
Not open for further replies.

calvisoft

IS-IT--Management
Aug 3, 2005
CA
I have a Proliant 5500 rack server and was wondering if it is possible to move all the parts into a Tower case. If possible what is the most appropriate proliant tower that I can/should use to transfer all the parts. Ex. would a Proliant 3000 or 1600 be appropriate.
Please, anyone with the expertise should help me out.

Thanks in advance.

The only difference (in essence) between a tower and a rack is the rails to mount the server into the rack. When you purchase a tower to rack conversion kit for a server, you get the rails plus a new front for the server (plus other gubbins), and you have to remove the wheels and a section of the server case in order to be able to fit the rails. I do not know if you can purchase a rack to tower conversion kit, but to be honest it is a waste of time to buy one if you ask me because you might as well just pull the server out of the rack, remove the rails, and stand it up.

-----------------------------------------------------
"It's true, its damn true!"
-----------------------------------------------------

I second TheLad's statement.

For the price you would pay someone for the conversion kit even on eBay just buy a little trolley from a store and sit it on that if you want it mobile.

All the conversion kit contains is a partial new front plate, the wheels and a door, not even anything useful like the cage nut removal tool you get in a tower to rack kit.

If however you did want to do a transplant then the 3000 chassis is virtually the same as the 5500's but I doubt the system board trays will have same screw holes.

Neill

I've never tried to turn a Compaq box from Rackmount into Tower however we have a few 5500 machines still running and there monsters (quad cpu, 6 disks (the old type)) and also have a screen on the front.

The insides do seem a little big even to put inside larger (wider) system cases.

I wish someone would just call me Sir, without adding 'Your making a scene'.

Rob

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back