Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Upgrading a 403DT

Status
Not open for further replies.

raknas

Technical User
May 4, 2004
GB
What is the upgrade procedure for going from IP Office 403DT 2.1(77) to 3.2(54). I will NOT be using the DT ports.

Thanks in advance

First upgrade it to the 2.99 build.
Then the 3.2(54) build.
Nice and easy ;-)

I think you can't upgrade a DT version to 3.2?

Correct Stehe, the latest DT version is 3.0.577

IP Office 3.0DT should only be used for new installations/upgrades of systems using DT telephones. Release 3.0DT is a complementary release to 3.2GA which remains the latest mainstream release recommended for all new installations where support for DT sets is not required - IP Office systems using DS terminals should use the latest 3.2 GA firmware.

My original post said that i will NOT be using DT phones and I have check with my distributor.

you can
i have a SOE dt at home and you can upgrade it without any problems (i also don't use the DT ports)

you have to be at 3.1.65 before you can go to 3.2

I have absolutely no problems in going from 2.1 to 2.99 to 3.2!
The 2.99 replaces the boot-loader so that 3.2 can be loaded.

According to the 3.2 upgrade instructions you can only upgrade from 3.1.65, this way the config is upgraded correctly. Although you can upgrade to 3.2 from other versions I would only use this for a new install.

I upgraded a 403DT some time ago to 3.0 and was still be able to use DT extensions. I will not advise to use this in a production environment and I am not sure if DT extensions work with 3.2

Short cuts may be accepted by the hardware in procedures, and there may not have been any issues. The key thing to remember is that a short cut may only not have any issues to this point, which does not mean it will not have any in the future. For that matter, the non-shortcut procedure may also have issues down the road. The difference is that one case if following proper procedures any issues are Avayas fault, if not they are your fault.

I upgrade systems from the current release to the next one made available, going through all the releases in between the current installed release, and the final destination release. For the most part that means 3.0 at the earliest to 3.1, to 3.2, not skipping any in between, following each procedure for the next release up from where I am at.

It may take any extra 15 minutes compared to skipping some, but I have never had a DTE cable on an IPO yet. I wonder if that has something to do with it? The downside is, with the hundred or more upgrades I have done, I have gained no experience at connecting via DTE.

When I used to work from home I had three PC's on my network, so I had a machine with each release already installed for upgrading/supporting when I needed to, plus my laptop with 3.2 now. That did save a little time, since I just used a different PC for each upgrade in the proccess.

Eventually I am sure I will get some experience with a DTE cable, but I am willing to wait.

aarenot it is fun to crash an ipo
try it and your hooked for life :)
it is very to know how to do it

Do it by the book or you will have problems. I had a 403DT that was upgrade from 1.x to 2.1.35 without going through the correct steps. Merging config 2 or 3 times caused it to crash. Then we had big problems upgrading it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back