Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Upgrading 7200 Router with NPE-G2

Status
Not open for further replies.

acabezas7

MIS
Mar 5, 2007
US
Hi can someone please help me. I am trying to upgrade my 7200 router's network processing engine and IOS but having a very hard time. I installed the hardware into router and boot it up with new IOS on compact flash. I have read documents with procedures on how to upgrade or copy IOS from flash to NVRAM, but none have worked for me. The IOS version am trying to install is 12.4-11 and C7200-kboot-mz.123-22. When I power on router it boots up and gives me this message below:

Readonly ROMMON initialized
string is disk2:c7200-kboot-mz.123-22.bin
loadprog:error - Invalid image for platform
e_machine=25, cpu_type= 169
boot:cannot load "disk2:"

Is there another way of upgrading the IOS on C7200 router. I tried going into ROM mode by pressing the break key as it booted up and would not load into ROM mode. Is there another key stroke besides break??? Can someone please help me and let me know if am at least on the right path of getting this IOS upgrade done. Thank you.

I had the same problem once. In my case i was trying to upload an IOS version that is not suported by the NPE G2. I know that the NPE-G2 uses images that begin wth the prefix "c7200p". Might sound stupid but also make sure you are using a VXR chassis.

There is another way of simulating abreak sequence that might work ty this:

Connect to the router with these terminal settings:

1200 baud rate

No parity

8 data bits

1 stop bit

No flow control

You no longer see any output on your screen, and this is normal.

Power cycle (switch off and then on) the router and press the SPACEBAR for 10-15 seconds in order to generate a signal similar to the break sequence.

Disconnect your terminal, and reconnect with a 9600 baud rate. You enter the ROM Monitor mode.

If all these methods fail to properly send a break, retry the procedures from a different terminal or PC platform

First off, I don't think you want to copy the actual IOS image into NVRAM---this is where the configs are stored. Also, is there a reason you wanted to upgrade the bootROM also, instead of the IOS alone?

Burt

burtsbees

Well the I thought you needed to also update the bootROM, because when I downloaded the new IOS file attached to it also was a kboot file. Is this file for the bootROM???

Oh---well, then I am not sure, if the kboot file was attached. I apologize for that.

Burt

well here is some config from one of my routers. it shipped this way but we upgraded the ios..

router#sh ver
Cisco IOS Software, 7200 Software (C7200-JS-M), Version 12.4(10a), RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc2)
Technical Support: Copyright (c) 1986-2006 by Cisco Systems, Inc.
Compiled Thu 12-Oct-06 01:18 by prod_rel_team

ROM: System Bootstrap, Version 12.3(4r)T3, RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc1)
BOOTLDR: 7200 Software (C7200-KBOOT-M), Version 12.3(15), RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc3)

router#sh bootflash:
-#- ED ----type---- --crc--- -seek-- nlen -length- ---------date/time--------- name
1 .. image 10D72B3A 6A8BF8 25 6720376 Jan 21 2000 04:48:27 +00:00 c7200-kboot-mz.123-15.bin

9270280 bytes available (6720504 bytes used)

i would try to load it on the old bootflash first and when it comes up then go through the process of upgrading to the new bootflash.

do you have them on seperate flash sticks?

SUMMARY STEPS
1. enable

2. For the Cisco 7200 VXR router using the NPE-G1:

upgrade rom-monitor file {bootflash [file-path] | disk0 [file-path] | disk1
[file-path] | disk2 [file-path] | flash [file-path] | ftp [file-path] | slot0
[file-path] | slot1 [file-path] | tftp [file-path]}

How ae you trying to load the images?
you dont have a boot statement like

boot system flash disk2:c7200kboot ..... ?? you dont want to try and load it as an ios.. because it is just the boot rom image.

Hi can someone please help me I am trying to create a username account for someone to access my routers configurations, but I only want them to have read-only privileges. What Level between 0 to 15 should I set them too. Thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back