Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Upgrading 7.1.6 to 7.3.4

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 17, 2005
US
I've just inherited a 7.1.6 database from another business unit whose operations we will be taking over shortly.

One of their databases is 7.1.6 on HPUX 10.01.

I brought it over to my 10.20 box, installed 7.1.6 (that was a find, let me tell you) and started it up.

7.1.6 came up ok.

Next I started the upgrade to 7.3.4 as per the Oracle7 Server Migration Guide - pointing it to the 7.3.4 HOME, changing COMPATIBLE in init.ora to 7.3.0 and doing STARTUP RESTRICT and then trying to run the following scripts:

cat7201
cat7202
cat7203
cat7301
cat7302
cat7303
cat7304
catalog
catproc
catexp

Got as far as cat7202 before I struck an error. It's trying to add a column like so:

Code:
ALTER TABLE system.repcat$_generated ADD
(
  CONSTRAINT repcat$_repgen_primary
    PRIMARY KEY(sname, oname, type)
)

I get a 942 - I don't have system.repcat$_generated - I"m guessing that this is because we're not running with the Replication option enabled?

I continued to run the other scripts and saw other system.repcat$_% objects that were erroring out....

I still have the original database on a backup, so I can go back to it at any time.

I'm assuming that I'm OK here, but was wondering if anyone who has done this before has insight?

Thanks
Steve

Sure did, see the original post, it mentions them right under all the catnnnn scripts ;)

I ran them after the string of catnnnn's were done.

More importantly, is my assumption correct? Is it just that we won't be doing replication with this instance?

(Thanks as always for the reply, of course)

Steve

Steve,

Sorry I missed your mentioning the "important" scripts. But, the reason they are so important, is because they need to run before the less-important ("catnnnn") scripts since, I believe, the "important" scripts create data-dictionary structures upon which the catnnnn scripts depend. This could explain why you are receiving the errors.

Just for laughs, how about running the catalog.sql, catproc.sql, catexpt.sql scripts first, then run the others. If you've already tried that, then I'll just sneak away into the shadows.

[santa]Mufasa
(aka Dave of Sandy, Utah, USA)
[ Providing low-cost remote Database Admin services]
Click here to join Utah Oracle Users Group on Tek-Tips if you use Oracle in Utah USA.

Hadn't tried it yet ;)

Was on my "list of things to do" when someone decided they wanted me to work on one of the other DB's...

Will try tomorrow, as we go back in time to the days of Oracle 7.1.6.

Whee!

Steve

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back