Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Upgraded to Outlook 2007, now can't connect to Exchange Server

Status
Not open for further replies.

u080570

Technical User
Jul 24, 2003
US
User was running Outlook 2003 for years with no problems, I upgraded to Outlook 2007 and can't connect to Exchange 2003 server. I get the following error message: "The connection to Microsoft Exchange is unavailable. Outlook must be online or connected to complete this action"

I have searched Microsoft and tried their solutions (regedit and AutoDiscovery and configuring exchangeAB resources) but those didn't work.

The user can connect just fine with Outlook2003 - all other network connectivity is fine, can ping the exchange server fine, can get to the internet, etc...

The problem seems to be widespread from the searches I have done but there aren't any solutions so far - if you know the solution - please point me in the right direction.

Did you try deleteing and recreating the MAPI profile on the client?

Yes - many times.....

Im tempted to wipe the laptop and reinstall everything from scratch as Im sure it's something in the registry

I have downgraded this user to Outlook 2003 for the time being and it works fine.....still curious as to what the problem is...

Starting with the basics. Can you resolve teh server name from the pc? Is the primary dns listed have the Exchange server's IP?

If some of the above doesn't work we could find out the best resolution for that. If you can ping by name you should be ablet o conenct. UNLESS... you have a personal firewall that you may need to open up.

I don't know if this will help, but I've run into a similar proiblem on a machine that didn't have a gateway. In outlook 2003 a gateway address was not necessary in connecting to exchange however with outlook 2007 a gateway MUST be specified or a corresponding change the registry is required to bypass a gateway check...

Tried all those things - no luck (gateway is defined, DNS is working fine, can ping everything correctly, no firewalls, etc...).

I rebuilt the laptop and it is working fine now....one of those strange things that will bug you to death !!

I am having this same issue with a brand new notebook computer. It will not connect and I get the same message that was mentioned in this thread. I follow the microsoft instructions and it did not fix the problem, I tried the workaround from Microsoft and still nothing... I am at my wits end with this...

Does anyone have any suggestions???

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back