Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

upgrade_cleanup file ????... 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

angelo23

Technical User
Jan 19, 2004
US
I just try upgrading a Sun Sparcserver 20(test server) from solaris 2.6 to Solaris 9.... Everything went smoothly as far as I can see... I let the install run over night and when I came in the dialog box had stated "Upgrade Failed"... I'm not totally sure what to do with this "UPGRADE_CLEANUP File" which is located in /var/sadm/system/data/... At the bottom of the file it states the following:

Before the system is rebooted, all files listed below should be referenced relative to /a.
---------------------------------------------------
/platform/SUNW,ultra-Enterprise/kernel/misc/platmod: existing file renamed to /platform/SUNW, ultra-Enterprise/kernel/misc/platmod:2.5.1

/usr/openwin/lib/locale/de_CH: file type was changed from directory to symbolic link
/usr/openwin/lib/locale/fr_BE: file type was changed from directory to symbolic link
/usr/openwin/lib/locale/fr_CA: file type was changed from directory to symbolic link
/a/etc/mail/main.cf:existing file preserved, the new version was installed as /a/etc/mail/main.ct.new

Like I said I'm not sure what I'm supposed to do with this upgrade cleanup file... This is a test server of course so I'm thinking about doing a newfs on the file systems and restoring the data and maybe try it again but not going to use the web install of solaris 9... But before I do all that I thought I would post this question... Thanks upfront for any comments or feedback...

Angelo

/a is only a mount point used during upgrade, so after a reboot it will disappear. The cleanup file should be on any system after a build and contains what happened during the upgrade and advice on what to do next, but most of the messages need not be acted upon.

The message you asked about "Before the system is rebooted, all files listed below should be referenced relative to /a."
is also in all my successful upgrades.. I have ignored.

However your upgrade has failed, why? Have you enough memory or diskspace, perhaps you need a full install.

Thanks marrow for your reply,

I 'm not totally sure why it failed... I have rebooted since trying to upgrade and it still reflex the Solaris 2.6 and not 9... I'm going to see what the other log files from the upgrade states... Maybe I can see why it failed from there...

Angelo

Angelo, as upgrade failed, reboot resets to the original o/s, you obviously didn't get far enough to cause an overwrite to 2.6. Did the system actually ask you any questions after "boot cdrom"? Just out of interest do you have a Solaris8 upgrade CD you can try?

Angelo,
Going through the various SUN System Admin classes for Solaris 2.5.1 -> Solaris 9, I was always told that unless there is a specific reason you need to upgrade the OS vs fresh install, always do the fresh install. You are skipping a few versions of Solaris going from 2.6 to 9. I would do the fresh installation. Also use the Software disk 1 of 2 to start you install, not the Installation Disk.

I agree with bfitzmai, perhaps you are jumping too many releases. A fresh install would be good.

Marrow - yes i have solaris 8 software available...I didm't see it asking me anything when I booted up on CDROM before trying to upgrade...

The reason I was trying to upgrade instead of install was to preserve my data.... If I do a straight install won't it wipe out my file systems and anything else that was installed(other software).... It has been so long since I have done a install or upgrade... As you can see I'm still working with solaris 2.6.... Thanks again for the input/feedback....

Even with an upgrade Angelo you would still be asked many questions -> hostname,IP address, netmasks, network? And so on, so there is a problem with your current upgrade if no questions are asked. If you usethe Solaris8 CD, it will at least prove that your system is upgradeable.

During the installation process, there will be a selection for preservation of data.

If you are trying to preserve packages, 3rd party applicatons or device drivers, you may have to reinstall them even if you have a successful upgrade install...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back