Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

upgrade

Status
Not open for further replies.

prasanthmasina

Technical User
Jul 1, 2004
US
hi i am tryin to upgrade my postgresql from 7.2 to 7.3 but i am gettin an error as below.
error: Failed dependencies:
postgresql = 7.3.3 is needed by postgresql-server-7.3.3-1PGDG
libpq.so.3 is needed by postgresql-server-7.3.3-1PGDG
postgresql < 7.3 conflicts with postgresql-server-7.3.3-1PGDG

Can anyone please help me out. I am new to linux.

What you have is not really a Postgres problem but a Linux problem. Your distribution does not have the required libraries for Postgres to run.

What version\brand of Linux are you running?

The big dependency in your list is the C library. You should investigate what satisfying these dependencies will do to\for other applications on your computer.

Did you try to install (rpm -i postgresql...rpm) or uupgrade (rpm -U postgresql...rpm)? The message "postgresql < 7.3 conflicts with postgresql-server-7.3.3-1PGDG" sounds like you are effectively trying to keep both versions on the machine and rpm only wants to have one version.

----
JBR

Speaking of which... what distribution are you running? Cause this could well be an

apt-get install postgresql

If you were running certain versions ;)

But to track down dependencies the method of installation would be helpful.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back