Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

upgrade

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 14, 2001
US
I have a NetWare 4.11 server with the current
service pack. On that server I
have (2) 4 gigabyte drives mirroring each other.
I don't want to change the operating system or
add another volume, but I do want to change the
drive. I tried mirroring the 4 gig to the 20 and
obviously that didn't work. I tried Norton’s
ghost and that didn’t work either. So I thought
that if I copied the NDS tree and the files
associated with the NDS tree it would save me
some work on having to restore rights and user
names. Could someone help me on how to do this
without me having to buy a third party software
like powermagic? can't I do it with the current
novell utility(s) in netware 4.11?

Norton Ghost for NetWare will do that, if I understand you correctly. You want to upgrade the 4GB drive to a larger drive? If so, make your image of current drive. NW Ghost does not support mirrored drives directly. When putting the image on the new drive Ghost will ask questions, one of which is do you want the partition the same size, then volume size. I can't remember the actual questions but the documentation describes it. After the image is done it can be mirrored to another drive of equal size. I've used it on 5 of my 4.11 servers with great success. Do plan on the server being down for a while, the image process is much longer in NW than when using Ghost for Windows.

If you need more (clearer) help, let me know and I'll look up my documentation.

Good luck,

Mark ;-)

Its a pity you don't want to buy powerquest. I've done alot of this work for our customers and have used powerquest. I've managed to do 9gig moves in 3 hours, that is exactly your setup but swapping 9gig mirrored drives to 18gig mirrored drives. Powerquest is the business for a few hundred quid. Lee Smith
Xenon Network Services
Snr. Technical Support
LSmith@xenon-uk.co.uk

I have also used Powerquest to migrate a server from one piece of hardware to another and it worked a treat! -----------------------------------------------------
"It's true, its damn true!"
-----------------------------------------------------

Can be a pain to change to NSS from traditional. There are still issues with software running on NSS. I would stick to traditional file system unless you are on a big volume and mount speed is slow. Lee Smith
Xenon Network Services
Snr. Technical Support
LSmith@xenon-uk.co.uk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back