Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

upgrade without change code!

Status
Not open for further replies.

frankone

Vendor
Aug 3, 2002
US
I currently have Foxpro Lan 2.0, Could I upgrade to
FoxPro 2.6 for DOS and then Upgrade to FoxPro 2.6
for Windows without rewriting the code

Thank You

Yes and No.

The basic code would continue to work as before, but your screens should be re-developed to appear as Windows screens.

The other issue you might encounter depends on the Operating System you will be working under. The old FPD SET PRINTER TO COM1 commands are meaningless under Win 2K or XP. So you might encounter printer problems.

Regardless, the biggest hurdle you will most likely encounter is finding a copy of Foxpro 2.6 for Windows. It has not been sold by Microsoft or standard Retail Software outlets for many years with the exception of through or possibly eBay.

Visual Foxpro is out there and will also execute the same basic Foxpro code. You will need to address the same Screen/Form and Printer issues. But the advantages of converting to VFP are many.

Good Luck,

JRB-Bldr
VisionQuest Consulting
Business Analyst & CIO Consulting Services
CIOServices@yahoo.com

hi everybody.
long time ago, i had the same idea.
as long you take over the code its ok.

but there are also windows, reports, menues...

and the other thing. when i started there were only a few tools and libs.

so if you want to migrate, u should keep in mind to refactor the app by using tools like stonefield, gensrnscx and of course some others. and dont forget to use a tool like xcase to analyze your databases.

if you start that way, it saves a lot of work in the future .

bye
Rainer R. Greim
vist us at :

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back