Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Upgrade Win7 Home > Pro. Product Key saved or overwritten?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Felix18807

Programmer
Jun 24, 2011
GB
I have upgraded my Windows 7 OS but would like to recover the previous product key. The original key was on a sticker on the bottom of the laptop but has worn off. Is the previous key stored anywhere that I can recover or has it been overwritten?

I suspect that would be gone.

here are some options to reveal your win 7 Key

Maybe it will show your XP key too.

ACSS - SME
General Geek

1832163.png

For determining which key was used to install an OS, I use Belarc (it's free for personal use)...

then check the keys for the OS and IE, if both are the same then I would say that it was overwritten, if they differ then the IE was the older key in use...

but you have a caveat, in that you are using a laptop, and most laptops come pre-installed, with an OEM Generic key (ergo all keys on all their products are the same for the same OS), and this is NOT the same key as the one on the bottom of your laptop!

Ben
"If it works don't fix it! If it doesn't use a sledgehammer..."
How to ask a question, when posting them to a professional forum.
Only ask questions with yes/no answers if you want "yes" or "no"

I'm not sure why you care to find out. Technically, you can't re-use that license on another PC if you've upgraded.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back