Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

upgrade to xp from 98

Status
Not open for further replies.

joystick8

Technical User
Jan 19, 2003
US
Hi I loaded xp on a Pc with windows 98 on it. It seems to run real slow ever since. I looked and there is still a windows 98 folder in C drive. Do you have to format the drive first or can you just upgrade it to windows XP? Thanks for any help.

You can upgrade, you just did.
The 98 folders stays if you choose that option.
If the PC is , slow, maybe not enough power?
CPU ? RAM ? If the answer is here, mark it, others can benefit from it too.
Free Tip: The F1 Key does NOT destroy your PC!

It is not necessary to format the HDD before loading XP. I did because I like a clean install. I formatted and dual booted with Win98/XP and the only problem I had was that XP wouldn't recognise my Modem and Printer drivers. I replaced the Modem and am still waiting for the treasurer (Wife) to approve the new printer. If you are sure you will not require the W98 folder, delete it. You need at least 128mb Ram,1.5GB spare Hard drive and a 230 processor to run XP. If you are below these figures, there is the problem of slow running. Good Luck...........Dave

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back