Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Upgrade to Windows 2003 domain

Status
Not open for further replies.

Srkey

IS-IT--Management
Oct 13, 2003
EU
Here is on streight and simple question>

I have Active directory with Win 2K Server. I want to migrate to Win 2003 Active directory. I want to add Win2003 server as another domain controller and then to revoke Win2K server so i will have single W2003 DC at the end.

What should i do to prepare W2k to work with W2k03 in AD and after that what is procedure for revoking W2k from w2K/W2003 Active Directory? I have some white papers on that but i would like to hear some xperiencies from real situations. Any well known problems or considerations?

If you know how to import AD from W2k into W2k03 without previous procedure that's even better!

Tanx alllllot!

Srkey

HI.

Is your WIN2000 server a normal server or SBS?
What application and roles does your server have (mail, database, etc...)?

If applicable, I suggest keeping the old server as a secondary domain controller instead of removing it.

Here are some tips for the migration:

* Backup system state on all servers before and after any change.

* Use NETDIAG and DCDIAG to verfiy health before and after any change.

* Use Event Viewer to verfiy health before and after any change.

* Restart a workstation and log on to verfiy health before and after any change.

* The W2K server should have latest SP installed (the minimum is SP2 but better have the latest).

* Better practice in LAB before running to production.

Now here is the process:

* Put the WIN2003 setup cdrom in the WINDOWS 2000 server (yes!), and run from I386:
ADPREP /?
ADPREP /forestprep
ADPREP /domainprep

Reminder: before and after any change, backup system state, and use Event Viewer + DCDIAG + other tools.

* Install Windows 2003 as a MEMBER SERVER in the domain.
And verify that it is running properly - no hardware problems, no 3rd party application compatiblity issues, etc...
Install any additional software now (backup, anti-virus, etc...)

* Let it work that way for a while (few days).

* Run DCPROMO and promote WIN2003 to DC.

* Install DNS on Win2003, configure server and workstations to use it as the primary DNS server.

* Transfer FSMO roles to WIN2003, including Global Catalog.

* Run DCPROMO on WIN2000 server to demote it to member server.

* Enjoy your work.

Yizhar Hurwitz

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back