Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Upgrade to Win2003 Enterprise from Win 200 Adv

Status
Not open for further replies.

woodings

Technical User
Apr 25, 2003
GB
Is there a migration/update path from Win 2000 to Win 2003 or is the best procedure to rebuild the server

I think you'd be better served (pardon the pun) building a brand new server with current hardware and install W2K3R2 on it, then migrate all services, files, etc. from the old server.

I'm Certifiable, not cert-ified.
It just means my answers are from experience, not a book.

Thanks for the response - unfortunately the current server is only 2 yrs old - the server was built as Win 2000 because the 3rd party Application which resides on this server had not been verified on Win 2003. We cannot get funding for extra hardware - on this basis what would be the best way forward to Win 2003
Thanks

Well performing a live test on your application is not a good idea. I would recommend;

1. Install Windows 2003 on a test box (it can be an old PC -- doesn't have to be a server class machine). Install the application and check to see if it works

2. If your test is successful, as Davetoo had pointed out.. upgrades from one OS to another are possible but are not clean since they leave behind a lot of unwatned files/reg entries, etc. Backup the server (even make up a backup image)

3. re-install your server using Windows 2003

HTH

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back