Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

upgrade to win Me wont work

Status
Not open for further replies.

shedevil1

MIS
Apr 13, 2003
GB
A friend is tring to upgrade her pc fron windows 85 to windos me. it says that you need win me grade to continue.
Does anyone has any ideas. I tried to update it to win 98 but got the same message you need win 98 upgrade to continue. please help a lady in distress. thanks in advance for any help in solving this problem.

You are trying to do an upgrade using a new install disk. There is a difference in the setup files.
Some have had success by removing or renaming win.com (in c:\windows usually) to something different.
If you go that route you will lose the ability to fall back to the earlier version. And I suspect that there is the possibility that some things might not work but have no experience there.

Ed Fair
Any advice I give is my best judgement based on my interpretation of the facts you supply. Help increase my knowledge by providing some feedback, good or bad, on any advice I have given.

I assume you meant Win "95" to Win ME. It sounds to me like you have a full version instead of an upgrade version of ME. (And the same for the Win 98). Win ME is not a good choice in the first place. It is a very "buggy" operating system. If it were me, I'd reformat the drive and install Win 98SE as a clean install.

Jim

Whoops, you posted while I was typing, Ed.

Jim

Yeah, and she is on the ME forum, too.
I've wiped my ME out, didn't have any problems with it, just was SE filling up another 300mb and some IE enhancements as far as I could see. I upgraded the box and left it with SE/95/SE since there hasn't been that much need for the ME.

Ed Fair
Any advice I give is my best judgement based on my interpretation of the facts you supply. Help increase my knowledge by providing some feedback, good or bad, on any advice I have given.

I vote with ANFPS26,

Given a choice between ME or Win98SE as an upgrade from Win95, Win98SE without a moments hesitation.

Been there, done that, and un-done ME.

Bill

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back