Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Upgrade to Solaris 9!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

sunguru99

MIS
Dec 3, 2003
US
I am going to be doing an upgrade from Solaris 6 to Solaris 9. What is the best way to accomplish this? Should I stick the install disk into the machine while it is up and running or should remove the old OS version first? Any advice would be greatly appreciated......

Confirm these.

1.What is this box doing? is this production?
2.What applications are running?
3.Any data base installed?
4.Any backup media connected to the system?
5.What are the file systems?

If you don't give any importance to this system you can install Solaris 9 instead of upgrading. I prefer fresh installation.

For fresh installation see below link,

This is not a production box. However, it does have an Oracle database installed on it. It is also running VxVm with the boot disk encapsulated, I don't if this would make a difference or not.

I was thinking that I could just install Solaris 9 on top of Solaris 6. But, I have never done this, and I'm assuming that it should work. In order to do a fresh install, I would have to remove the old OS. I think this can be done with the Solaris 9 install disk?

Yes. Once you start installation process you will need to select "initial installation" option you will get option to reformat your harddrive however you like.

Make sure about the backup. Once you install Solaris9 without taking backup it may not possible to recovery of old data.

For fresh installation,

By pressing Stop A key sequence on a Sun Keyboard
You will get,
>ok then,
>boot cdrom (insert Solaris9 CD in the cdrom drive)

After installation of OS, Download and install latest patch cluster from Veritas volume manage and required patches.

You may need to upgrade OBP patch also if it requires.
What type of system?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back