Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Upgrade to Rel 11 using another 500V2

Status
Not open for further replies.

BullDog54

Vendor
Aug 21, 2012
US
Greetings all,
I need to upgrade a "Live" system running Rel 8.1 to Rel 11.
I have a "Spare"( not is use) 500V2 that is running 8.1- - it was for a different site.
Can I get an Upgrade License based on the migration file of the "Spare" 500V2, and then upgrade the "Spare" 500V2 to Rel 11
then just load the configuration file from the "Live" system to the upgraded "Spare" 500V2?
I am trying to avoid any down time at the "Live" system.
thanks
Steve

Just a thought, as I haven't personally done this.
Pop the SD card out of the live system. Recreate it to 11 in your laptop. Put it in the spare. Upgrade the spare and get the migration file. Recreate the SD back to 8.1 and put the card back in the live system. When you get the PLDS file recreate the live SD at 11. Add the license file.
Be aware the chassis needs to be PCS 14 or higher or you will need to step upgrade to expand the boot loader. My concern doing it with the spare chassis with a different SD card is licensing.

Dermis and feline can be divorced by manifold methods.*
*(Disclaimer for all advise given)--'Version Dependent'

If it is on 8.1(73) or higher, you don't need to step up grade.

Run the license migration tool on the current system. Get a new SD card, when you get the LAC activate it using the host ID of the new card. Recreate the card on R11, upload the config.cfg file and the license file renamed as PLDSkeys.xml to the Primary directory.

Stop the SD card via SSA. Install the new SD card. Power cycle, it will come back up as R11 and upgrade the phones from there.

If you really want to do it with a swapped chassis, then you just do everything as normal, ie get the migration and config from the existing system and get the licences from your disti.

Assign those licences to a new SD card, take a copy of the old config and apply that and the SD card to the replacement hardware. It will then be the upgraded system.

With PLDS the actual hardware in use is irrelevant, it is only the SD card that matters one iota.

| ACSS SME |

Before you put the SD card in your card reader make sure the computer you are using does not automatically encrypt media, I ran into that with one customer and it turned the SD card into just a regular SD card by removing the license file.

Thanks for all the feedback- this helps a lot.
derfloh : how do I upgrade phone firmware BEFORE swapping out the IP500? If I do upgrade [hone firmware first, will the phones still work on the 8.1 system until I can upgrade to 11?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back