Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Upgrade to ICS 4.0

Status
Not open for further replies.

simion

IS-IT--Management
Sep 14, 2002
CA
We have an ICS 4.0 system with 2 channels and 16 handsets and has 4 analog lines coming in. We are installing a T1 line in the office and I wondered if this norstar can be upgraded to plug in a T1 line? (fractional) - what do I need to add to the unit? if at all?
Thanks

Are you planning on sharing the T1 between voice and data? Dependant upon call volume, your least expensive plan would probably be to use a channel bank to break out 4 channels to analog voice and you could cross-connect those directly into the existing LS/DS card - or an additional LS/DS card. Otherwise you would need to install a T1 card.

Jason Foulds
Futuristech Communications

Your post is a little confusing...

"We have an ICS 4.0 system with 2 channels and 16 handsets and has 4 analog lines coming in"

Is your phone system 4.0 or your voice mail" Is it a MICS or CICS?

Only way to share a T1 is as FuturistechComm says using a channel bank splitter

M

Thanks for the feedback. The unit has Startalk Flash voice mail - but the documentation just says ICS4.0 . Dont know if its MICS or CICS - but it looks like this
We are actually splitting the T1 at an Audiocodes Mediant Gateway and running 12 lines into a SIP application and the rest out to the Norstar (if possible) - what is a 'channel bank' - forgive my ignorance - is it a box?, adapter?

This is a CICS It can't use it own T1

Channel bank splits a T1 for different uses data/voice

If your Audiocodes Mediant Gateway can simulate dial tone it will work. I'm not familiar withthis product.

M

Only way to share a T1 is as FuturistechComm says using a channel bank splitter

On CICS this is true, but on MICS it isn't. Nortel has a product called Norstar Data Interface that will split up a T1 for your various needs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back