Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Upgrade to Access 2000 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

rocksandbroncs

Technical User
Jan 8, 2001
US
I have a client that is running the Office 97 suite but I have 2000 at work. They have asked me to do some Access database work for them but if I convert their 97 database to 2000, it won't run on their system and if I keep it in 97 format, 2000 won't let me save any changes I've made in design mode.

Is it possible for my client to upgrade only Access to 2000 while keeping Word and Excel at 97?

Thanks in advance

Yes, it is. In fact, Access 2000 is the first version that coexists with a prior version. I'm developing with both on the same computer. It generally works well; whichever version you used last will be the one that is launched when you double-click a database file or shortcut. That does lead to some confusion: If A97 tries to open an A2K database, it gives you an "Unrecognized database format" message. If A2K tries to open an A97 database, it offers to convert it for you. Your users should be trained to expect these startup glitches, if they have databases from both versions.

If they really prefer to just upgrade to A2K, you can get just a retail version of Access instead of Office, and replace the A97 install. However, you might have problems with any applications that use both Access and another Office product. For example, emailing Access 2000 reports using Outlook 97 might take some tweaking, and Excel 97 doesn't have a clue how to export data to Access 2000. Rick Sprague

Thanks, Rick for the reply. I especially appreciated your point about importing/exporting with the other 97 applications. Point well taken.

Now I just need to get my client to spring for the $99 upgrade.

rocksandbroncs@yahoo.com

Actually, in Office 2000, you can turn on and off the 2000 features.

Go to the TOOLS - OPTIONS - Compatibility Tab. You can choose to still save Word as Office 97 format. I believe excel has the same feature.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back