Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Upgrade to 2003 Srv from NT 40 SP6.0a

Status
Not open for further replies.

pikk

IS-IT--Management
Jan 23, 2002
CA
I have a dilemna. I recently upgraded a fresh BDC (synch'd to my PDC)to 2003 Srv. What I didn't account for were my legacy NT member servers. Now...when I try to join them to my new domain...they don't support the 17 character domain name I gave my new server. :(

So...am I s.o.l.? Or is there a way to go back and fix this? I tried rendom.exe and this didn't work. It renamed the domain to 15 characters but my NT boxes still don't connect. They are SP5 and higher BTW. What are my options? Do I need to scrap everything and start over or is there something I can do? Any help from one of you 2003 Pros, would be greatly appreciated. :)

TIA,

Pikk

are you saying that you made a BDC a 2003 DC and left the NT PDC in place?

You will need WINS for the NT4 crowd, just in case... and make sure your DNS is strong and healthy...

I would have told you--but now you know--you need to assume that at least 50% of your project hours should be spent in planning before any implementation begins...

You may want to reread the LANMAN rules... or consider upgrading all of your member servers. In a few months the cost to support them will be greater than the cost to upgrade/replace...

JTB
Have Certs, Will Travel
"A knight without armour in a [cyber] land."

Hey JTB

Thanks for the info. On the PDC stuff...no, I didn't leave it in place. I shut it down before the upgrade. I wanted it status quo so I could fall back to it if needed...and I needed. :)

The jist of it is, I didn't want to do a complete "new" install of 2003...too much work. So...taking Microsofts advice, I took a brand new server wiht all the bells and whistles, installed NT 40 and made it my new BDC. Then, I brought down my original PDC and promoted the new machine. Then I ran the upgrade to 2003 srv. The original PDC never came into play during this. The trouble started with trying to get my member servers (Exchange 5.5 on NT40 and Great Plains on NT40) to talk to the new 2003 domain controller.

If you understand you right...a WINS server will solve my problme here? Can the 2003 domain controller run WINS as well as DNS?

Thanks again for all your help!!

P'

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back