Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

UPgrade SQL Server

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mighty

Programmer
Feb 22, 2001
US
Hi Guys,

I am currently running SQl Server 2000 and have just purchased SQL Server 2008 R2. Don't know much about SQL Server and wondering what the best options are to upgrade to a different server. I have installed 2008 R2 on my DB server and want to move the SQL 2000 DB's from a different server to it.

Is it just a case of detaching the database, copying it and then reattaching it on the SQL 2008 box?

Mighty

you can go straight to 2008 from 2000 doing an in place upgrade. If you've got a new server then upgrade the old 2000 DB back it up and restore it to your new hardware. Just remember to backup all the 2000 DB's before doing anything.

There's loads of info out there with guidance how to do it but it's fairly easy.

Biglebowskis Razor - with all things being equal if you still can't find the answer have a shave and go down the pub.

I would agree with biglebowski, to do a backup. The detach may have complications to it when going from 2000 to 2008.

We did the backup/restore when we went from 2000 to 2008R2 with no problem. The main thing is any T-SQL stored code needs to be looked at for deprecated code, mail being a big one.

djj
The Lord is my shepherd (Psalm 23) - I need someone to lead me!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back