Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

'Upgrade' Server 2003 to SBS?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 16, 2002
GB
I have a client with a network of around 10 users and a 2003 server. He wants to be able to share outlook calendars, the only way I've found to do this effectively is using Exchange.
However, the pricing of Exchange makes it a less than attractive so I was wondering about SBS.
So 2 questions really:
Any ideas how to share Outlook calendars without using Exchange?
Or can you "upgrade" a 2003 server to SBS without a complete re-install?

Thanks,
Chris

You can't share calendars without Exchange unless you use a third party product.

Theoretically, you could do a partial swing migration to an SBS box, but you'd essentially be downgrading to a single box server environment. The version of Exchange on SBS is limited when compared with a standard copy.

Pat Richard, MCSE(2) MCSA:Messaging, CNA(2)

Thanks,
Any suggestions for a third party calendar sharing product?

Also the client only has one server so it would be a matter of installing SBS on top of Server 2003, which I'm guessing isn't possible.

Pat, I am interested to hear why you feel Exchange on SBS is limited. Aside from the SBS Server limitation of a max of 75 users I am aware of no limitations or restrictions of Exchange.

Chris, SBS would be ideal for this size customer. You will however need to recreate the users in SBS and then could move your existing server over to that domain. SBS cannot join an existing domain. It must be the first DC and it must hold the FSMO roles.

I hope you find this post helpful.

Regards,

Mark

Check out my scripting solutions at

I agree with Mark. the only limitation I'm aware of with Exchange on SBS, besides the user count, is that it is only licensed for installation on the SBS server itself.

it is only licensed for installation on the SBS server itself.
Correct, you can't move it unless you buy the upgrade pack. But really that again is a licensing thing and not a functionality limitation.

Regards,

Mark

There are limits in routing groups and admin groups.

Pat Richard, MCSE(2) MCSA:Messaging, CNA(2)

I wouldn't necessarily consider those as limitations within the context of SBS as a self-contained solution and would indeed be consistent with the "single domain" model.

Granted they would be different than Std Exchange; but again, within the context of SBS, routing groups are kind of pointless, and if they are imposing an operational limit, then the application of SBS itself is likely questionable.

I need to test SBS in lab. What networking setup will i need for fully functional testing purposes. Only for internal testing especially Exchsrvr.
During begining phase of setup, SBS installation want to test the networking environment... i think.

How about having a Sharepoint site and then access the calendars through outlook. This is what we do for sharing a holiday information and are looking at adding a second one for project tracking. You can add events through the sharepoint site or through outlook.

Setting up a test lag will simply require a server to load on, a switch or a hub, an XP workstation and an Internet connection.

Testing of Exchange can be tricky though unless you don't currently have email becasue in order to fully test incoming and outgoing email you would need an MX record in public DNS. You could of course buy a second domain name just for that purpose and host your own DNS for it. The domain name would only cost you about $7 I think on GoDaddy.

Regards,

Mark

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back