Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Upgrade scenario - zfd4 to 7

Status
Not open for further replies.

sstoppel

IS-IT--Management
Jul 12, 2004
US
In September I intend to upgrade my single-site zfd4 to zfd7. My zfd4 server is inadequate and I have acquired a more powerful server to be the desktop management server.

My question is what would be the most sensible method to upgrade?

Can I simply install zfd7 to the new box and forge on ahead?

Should I migrate the existing zfd server to the new hardware then upgrade in place?

What are the implications of each?

Just-do-eat

Slap the new server in place, give it a kewl name different than the old server, update it, optimize it, sacrifice chicken to the hardware gods to ensure stability. Then load up ZfD on the server.

Impact is fairly small, but can be time consuming depending on your deployment.

If your old ZfD server stored all of your application files and all of your policy files, you will need to manaully migrate those and then update the NDS object for hte change in the path. Other than that, everything else is all eDir stuff and the server doesn't matter.

Oh yea, and update your DNS to reflect the change in IP address for the zenwsimport name resolution.

=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+
Brent Schmidt Certified nut case [hippy]
Senior Network Engineer
Keep IT Simple

Thanks for the reply, Brent. No chicken sacrifice should be necessary, I have Carepaqs in place :)

Policy and app objects are on the file server, not the ZFD box.

Is there anything I should know about retiring the old box, or can I just remove it from the tree and make it a beer fridge?

Removing the server? well, thats easy, just don't go the route of simply turning the box off.

First, make sure you remove any replicas that are on the server, even though you may think there are none, just check to make sure. If it turns out it does and it is the only server with a replica, be sure to place a copy of the replica on another server and promote it to master before you delete the replica off the old server.

Then use NWCONFIG to uninstall eDirectory from the server. This will properly remove the server object from the tree.

Then you can turn off the server and install KegTap v4.20

** Don't forget tree cleanup. You will SSL SAS LDAP NLS and other stuff that can be deleted, easy to find, it will have the server name taged to it.

=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+
Brent Schmidt Certified nut case [hippy]
Senior Network Engineer
Keep IT Simple

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back