Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Upgrade Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

swasser

IS-IT--Management
Oct 31, 2002
US
When I install my first CAS server in a co-existence environment, will the CAS server attempt to take over routing communication right away?

No it won't. By default, it won't have a send connector, so it can't route mail out, and if it's part of the same domain, it will recognize your existing server's routing information and actually route outbound mail to it if needed.

In other news, inbound connections still go from your firewall to your other server(s), so it won't interfere there.

You actually have to start talking to it (routing traffic to it) for it to do anything. It's basically a proxy, and it will only be used as such if you start connecting to it.

Dave Shackelford
ThirdTier.net
TrainSignal.com

Thanks for the quick responses. So will hub transport take over routing just by being installed or will it have to be configured first? I think it has to be configured first but just want to make sure.

My bad. It will be co-existence with Exchange 2003.

So, when you install the hub role, the routing group connectors should get formed between E2003 and E2010 (do a 'Get-RoutingGroupConnector'). If there is no send connector for the Internet on your hub server (there isn't one by default), then mail will take the current route.

Do you have your Tek-Tips.com Swag? I've got mine!

Stop by the new Tek-Tips group at LinkedIn.

Thank you for clarifying this for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back