Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Upgrade Paths

Status
Not open for further replies.

NewbieCarol

Technical User
Sep 11, 2002
US
Does anyone know where I can find the upgrade paths for a Definity G3si V12? I've looked but nothing is jumping out at me.

Thanks,
Carol

NewbieCarol,

there is actually no upgrade path for your switch because you're already running the latest software. what you can do is to migrate to s8500 or s8700, but that's not upgrade, essentially it would be just change of the hardware.

I believe you can reuse some of your current hardware to save some $$.

The G3si processor has reached end-of-life. Depending upon your current configuration, and needs, the migration path would be to either a S8500 or S8700. There are additional things to take into consideration such as duplicated control networks (Y/N). DWBS is currently supported on the S8x00 series media servers, however upgrading all RC,WFB,CAU, handsets to the latest load before the upgrade is highly recommended. ALL x.25 connections will need to be converted to something else. Call Accounting can be run via IP or Serial(using terminal server). Lot's of things to think about. Most circuit packs can be re-used. No real changes between minimum vintage on 1.3 and CM2.x

James Middleton
ACSCI/ACSCD/MCSE
Xeta Technologies
jim.middleton@xeta.com

You may want to wait for for mid-this year when CM 3.0 will be coming out, at that time you are going to want to look into migrating your G3si to a S8500 Media Processor, this would allow you to grow to 2400 stations and 800 trunks, if this does not meet your long term goals then you would migrate to the S8700 servers.

In addition if you have multiple locations there may be some other considerations that you may want to investigate in regards to how you can consolidate your multi-site network to utilize a centralized server solution allowing you manage and license all of the sites as a single solution.

You may be looking a solution corporate wide, that could result in reduced TCO for your Telecommucations Department.

I hope this helps.

Thank you,
VOIPEng

Thanks everyone! this has been a big help, as ALWAYS.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back