Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

UPGRADE OR FULL INSTALL

Status
Not open for further replies.

AldoSimmons

IS-IT--Management
Aug 8, 2002
US
I have several Win98 machines that I need to move to XP Pro. I was wondering if there may be issues with an upgrade that are not encountered with a full install. Does anyone have any opinion on this?

I've done it both ways, with great success, although many programs needed an XP version, and a few drivers, generally the upgrades went well.
You end up with some added bloat though, and it's not clear what you can delete afterwards.
If you can do clean installs, then do it.
Upgrade as last resort to save critical data if there is no other way. Cheers,
Jim
iamcan.gif

Always go for a fresh install if you are unsure.

Before you do a clean install, I would download the XP drivers for your hardware. Put them on a CD and do a fresh install. Once done you'll have the drivers to load.

I lean towards a fresh install since an upgrade leaves to many "skeletons" from the 98 OS. Hewissa

MCSE, CCNA, CIW

Do a clean install whenever possible.
For your own interest you may want to use the checkupgradeonly switch to check both hardware and software compatability. It's an exercise that will take all of about 10 minutes.

cdrom:\i386\winnt32 /checkupgradeonly

Nb Any issues that may arise usually don't occur when doing a clean install.

mcse, ccna

I recommend a clean install or you will be back posting questions about all of the problems that you are having because of an upgrade. Good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back