Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Upgrade or clean install

Status
Not open for further replies.

ilwu500

Technical User
Feb 16, 2005
CA
bought used DELL would like to dump xp-home and install my own
xp-pro will I run into any surpises or should I go upgrade route

Always clean install rather than upgrade.

Unless you have the resource CD that came with the Dell computer that you visit the dell support website and download all the required drivers and burn them onto a CD before you start.

I echo the advice from Ali147gta, clean install is definitely the way to go.

Re drivers I find it easier, if possible, to have another system that you can use simultaneously to download software, drivers, A/V updates etc before putting the 'clean' system online. Especially if something goes haywire...

Preferably, during setup delete all existing partitions and recreate your own as required, in my experience this is the best way for a truly clean install, assuming there is only one o/s currently installed.

Good Luck,
Daniel.

I'm gonna add my voice to the chorus: never upgrade, always perform a clean install...

- Ravashaak

I echo all of those replies:

ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS DO A CLEAN INSTALL!

Same never upgrade cuz the reason for changing os is havin problems with the old one well if you upgrade you will experience the same exact problems from the old os 99 percent of the time

Well in this situation, it is definitely better to remove the junk left behind from the previous owner by doing a clean install.

~cdogg
[tab][navy]For general rules and guidelines to get better answers, click here:[/navy] faq219-2884

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back