Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Upgrade NT4 to W2k

Status
Not open for further replies.

sidnoor

IS-IT--Management
Jun 30, 2002
QA
I have NT4 server with 25 workstations(Win98). Static IPs, having RAID 5 configuration with 3 scsi HDDs.
I woul like to upgrade to win2k server without loosing any data or any mapped drives, as it is been serving as PDC as well as file server.
Please advice me the safest and easiest way..

I am in the EXACT same situation. I was planning on just running the upgrade wizard on the Win2000 Server CD. It should migrate everything over for you. You'll have to make some decisions about setting up a DNS server and Active Directory, but it SHOULD be fairly simple.

Is there anyone who has been through this already and would like to share their experience or give advice to us "newbies"?

Haven't done it myself, but I have one piece of advice.

Before you do ANYTHING, Backup EVERYTHING. And then make sure the backup is a good one just in case.

According to all the 2000 Server books I've read (studying for my cert right now), the upgrade should be a smooth and painless process. No data should be lost. However, Murphy likes to take advantage of the unexpected. @=)

Be warned, there are certain things which worked for NT which either don't work in 2000 (there are no such things as BDCs, for example) and if you still have NT servers or workstations on the domain after you convert the first one, there are certain configurations you may have to do for communication purposes. The best book I've seen so far for teaching Server 2000 is Sybex's MCSE Windows 2000 Server Study Guide by Lisa Donald and James Chellis. The first couple of chapters cover upgrades and clean installs in great detail (from the "I've never heard of this before" viewpoint).

Also, checkout Microsoft's Technet and (a free forum, though they now require a login and password) for further informtion. 2000trainers has a certified staff who has done all this before and they put articles on their website on how to do it right the first time.

Hope that helps.

Catadmin - New to Server Admin, but willing to learn... All help is appreciated.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back