Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Upgrade NT4.0 Server to Win2K Help please 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

stenk

Technical User
May 20, 2002
NZ
My Boss wants me to upgrade the Domain Servers to Win2K from NT4 Sp6a.

I will need to install another harddrive on the main server as the system drive is near capacity. and I am not sure if the software is compatable with 2000.

My Question is: What is the best way to go about an upgrade from NT4 to 2000?. Currently the Domain is mixed OS domain with anything from 98, NT4 Workstation, 2000 Pro, and XP Pro. What sort of consideration should I have for the client PCs if any?. He also want to take advantage of Active Directory.

Please help me with these questions.

Regards,

Sten

What Sort of sogtware is Installed in Windows NT 4.0 server and how many user are connected with that server.

Thanks Kressmark for the info.

AGA,

There is some software on this Server which I dont think is compatable (Filemaker Pro Server 3.0) very old but I will try this on another Server. Also ArcIT Backup software V7.6

About 40 max connections. Mostly used as a File Server, Print Server.

Regards,

Sten

Do you want to run just an upgrade or a clean install? How long can your system be down?

I'm also working on a simliar NT4 -> NT2k upgrade... but my plan was to just configure a better machine with windows 2000 server and swap out the old NT4 DNS machine. However when I try to setup the win2k server as a root dns server, it doesn't resolve any outside domain names (ie yahoo.com) it will work for internal network names if i setup the forward zones for them. I have also setup the win2k machine as a third dns and it worked fine. Is there something i'm missing? Am I not supposed to be setting up the primary DNS as a root server? Any ideas?

Upgrade would be my prefered option as then all the system settings would be similar to the NT4.0 enviroment and would save on down time.

System can only be down after hours. I am thinking of upgrading the Member Servers first, then the Domain controllers.

This I believe will give me a better idea of how long it will take for the Domain Controllers PDC x1 BDCs x3.

Also, I was thinking of promoting one of our BDCs to the PDC and Upgrading this one first. Do you think this is a good idea??. I will of course have a good backup prior to the upgrade.

Regards,

Sten

Veritas 7.6 will not work on WIN 2K Server you will need Veritas 8.x

File Maker 3.0 will not work as well you will need File Maker Server 5 or FM Pro 5 or higher

Its better if you do a clean Install

If you wish to retain all your users, you can't do a clean install. Pick the NT domain controller you wish to upgrade first. (If you are going to use a new computer, put NT server in a BDC role first.) Make it the PDC. As an option, you can remove one of the BDC's from the network just in case you need to revert back. Upgrade the PDC to 2000 and promote it to Domain Controller. Your user SIDs will be retained. You can now upgrade the remaining BDC's.

What you can do is install nt 4 server on a new box as a bdc- then promote it to a pdc, do the upgrade and install AD and then you have all your users none of the old programs that might cause issues. and if you can hire a consultant to come in to support you. nothing like having someone there who has done it a few hundred times before.

Yeah thanks Bonehead, and every one else!!

I am going down that line. I have a new box that I have installed NT4 SP6a as a BDC will promote to PDC and shutdown the other Server and upgrade from there. No software problems to get in my way etc...

Would I have to configure DNS, DHCP, WINS etc on this box before the upgrade?? or can I do this after the upgrade to 2000??.
Regards,

Sten

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back