Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Upgrade/Migrate Exchange 5.5 to 2003

Status
Not open for further replies.

NewbieVN

MIS
Dec 21, 2003
CA
Dear All,

I had a old IT infrastructure with NT4 PDC, NT4 BDC and NT4 Exchange 5.5.
The goal is : upgrade/migrate them to windows 2003 and exchange 2003. Please give me a advice, documents which help me a right direction. Thanks in advance

Hi!
I would recommend you to upgrade first your NT 4.0 domain infrastructure to Active Directory. Here is a detailed step by step video tutorial:

Once you are done with moving the network services (like WINS, DNS) to the new servers, decommissioning the old NT 4.0 domain controllers and raising the Domain and Forest functional levels make sure that your AD is healthy (normal replication between the Domain Controllers, no errors in DCDIAG and NETDIAG log files) and proceed with migrating the Exchange 5.5 organization to Exchange 2003.
If you are following the approach outlined in the tutorial above you should add a new Exchange 2003 server to the existing Exchange 5.5 org and move the mailboxes which will save you the trouble to repoint manually the Outlook profiles to the new server.

That’s one way to perform the upgrade/migrate process which you are planning.
Another approach will be to have a clean installed Win 2003 AD and Exchange 2003 and use ADMT.

Dean

forum.gif
Dean

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back