Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Upgrade Micros RES 3700 to Windows 10?

Status
Not open for further replies.

michaelwulff

IS-IT--Management
Oct 30, 2019
US
Hello!

I was wondering if it was possible to upgrade our Micros 3700 system (currently running Windows 7) to the newest version of Windows 10?

We currently have 5 WS5A terminals and we are not looking to upgrade any equipment. I have downloaded Windows 10 to laptops and things like that so I am familiar on how it is done... I am just worried if I upgrade the back office computer, that the entire system will stop working, or not support the new upgrade. Please let me know if you need any of my current system's specifications - Currently running version 5.2.0101.1714

Please let me know if this is safe and easy to do!

Thank you!

Hello mate!

You can easily upgrade your server to W10 if your server have the minimum requirements. You can actually give us that info.

In your case, I'd just make a backup of the DB, take note of the server name and the IP, make a fresh W10 install and upgrade straight to 5.7 MR3.

The WS5 should be compatible without any issue.

Great!! Thank you, what can I give you so we can see if it has the minimum requirements?

Thanks!!

Check for the CPU model, how much RAM, and if it's in your budget, I would suggest you to add an SSD!

Okay-

Processor: Intel Pentium
CPU: G850 @2.90 GHz
Ram: 4.00 GB (3.89 GB usable)

Let me know if you need anything else

If your RAM is DDR3, as I said, I would throw a 120GB SSD and do the fresh install.

I'm running a server on RES5.7 with W10 with an E7200, 4gb RAM DDR3 and a 120gb SSD and it runs smooth.

Right now, I'm using 2 WS5A POS and 3 KDS.

Thank you for all the help.

What are the steps, to start this process. I do not want to mess up something too bad enough to have to replace my entire system. COVID-19 is also making times hard for our restaurant, so we really cannot afford to hire a technician to do this. We want to try and do this using in house staff by any means possible.

Anything that you can provide me in regards to backing up the database, and upgrading to 5.7 I would greatly appreciate.

Thank you so much!

Let me share you the RES3700 5.7 installation manual: RES3700 5.7 Installation Manual

Read it up. It is pretty simple.

Since you're on 5.2 you only need to make a backup with DB Manager, save it on a thumb drive, format your hard drive with W10 and follow up the instructions on the manual.

What version of 5.7 you're planning on install? If you go only with 5.7 you're gonna get the issue with void products, so you might go straight to 5.7.3 or beyond if you have the patches.

I guess I will go to 5.7.3

Thank you, I will respond back if I come into any issues.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back