Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

upgrade hard drive in macbook pro

Status
Not open for further replies.

bookouri

IS-IT--Management
Feb 23, 2000
US
I have a new hard drive and i need to upgrade my macbook pro to the new hard drive. I currently have a mac partition and a bootcamp partition. I need to move both to the new drive. I can connect the new hard drive externally and use superduper to "clone" the mac to the new hard drive without any problem. I partitioned the new drive into a mac and a windows partition just like the current drive. I created a disk image of the windows partition from the current drive using "disk utility". Then used the disk utility to write that image back to the windows partition on the new drive. When i finished the mac OS works fine, but i can not boot into the windows bootcamp partition. If i try to boot into windows I get a boot error, so I'm missing something somewhere. What am i doing wrong? Can anybody tell me a better way to move to the new drive that works?

thanks for any suggestions

AFAIK, the ability to boot to Windows is restricted to an internal drive, so unless you can use Thunderbolt rather than USB to connect the new drive (which presents to the installer as an internal) you're stuck with swapping the drive before you can check the boot. Given that HDD swapping in laptops is not a simple procedure, do you know anyone with a Mac Pro that you can test the drive in?

soi là, soi carré

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back