Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

upgrade from veritas netbackup 3.5 to 5.0

Status
Not open for further replies.

bonsky

MIS
Apr 23, 2001
US
To whom it may concern,

Can anyone help or advice me.. where to find comprehensive documentation for doing upgrades.. i am currently running NT4 with netbackup veritas 3.5 version and planning to upgrade to veritas netbackup 5.0 on Windows 2003. We will be changing our server as well to a newer one. PLEase do give me sites and other do's and dont's.... THanks aLot!!

1. read "Release Notes" for 4.5_FP and 5.0. They are available via download at 2. check compatibility for ALL OS service packs/patches for master/media servers and clients.
3. VERITAS does NOT support upgrade from 3.4 to 5.0 directly.
You must go to 4.5 first as there are significant database changes.
4. check licensing. I do not know if you need special licence to go to 4.5 before you go to 5.0
5. Ensure that you will not have to change the name of the new master server.
Sometimes you may have to fight with other groups to keep the same name.
If you change the name of the master you will probably have to go thru consulting $$

This is just a strat. Enjoy your journey.

Bob Stump
Incorrigible punster -- Do not incorrige

hihi... thanks a lot bob,, oki.. ill try to look for it in veritas url.. coz, ive been spending a few hours looking but cannot find one.. but ill try my luck again.. thanks

click on the url provided click on NetBackup Products
click on NetBackup Datacenter for 4.5 or else NetBackup Enterprise Server for 5.0
Select "Documents and Manuals" in the "Document Type" field.
You will see all the manuals

Here are direct links to the "Release Notes" for downloading
for 4.5_FP3

for 5.0

Bob Stump

Beware of VSP (the replacement for OTM) slowing down backups! We had to switch VSP off and wait for MP2.
There are changes to the way Windows multistreaming wildcards are used i.e. If you have a stream X:\blabla you'll need to change it to X:\blabla\* which under 4.5 would have created lots of streams but not with 5. Also there is no back-out to the upgrade, you'll have to uninstall 5 and re-install 4.5 - it changes the format of the catalog so make sure you have a backup.

Bonsky,
Did you find your answers in the manuals?
Any other questions?

Bob Stump

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back