Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Upgrade from Sybase to SQL (Access): Data Inconsistencies

Status
Not open for further replies.

charcurley

Programmer
Aug 16, 2001
The Access 2000 database that is in place has been in place for 12 years. The backend was just updated from Sybase SQL to Microsoft SQL server. It was just noticed that a document that pulls in information depending on the file that is opened in a screen is referencing the incorrect data when it references a module or a field on the screen? If the data is in a query it references the correct data BUT if I say for example: forms![dataform]!CustomerCode it MAY be the data from the previous screen?? As I said this has only begun to happen since the upgrade of the data. Any thoughts out there? Thanks for any help.

First off, Access 2000 didn't come out in 1996 (sorry, I couldn't resist).

You say that
If the data is in a query it references the correct data BUT
and then you talk about the problem residing with an Access front end reference (forms![dataform]!CustomerCode).

I'd suspect the issue is in the form's property setting; not the back end data.

You might try posting in one of the Access forums - maybe this one:
Hope this helps!

< M!ke >
[small]Where are we going and why am I in this handbasket?[/small]

Well we have upgraded a bit since 1996 :) but not past 2000.
I put this in the Access forum 2 days ago but no help and thought I would try the SQL forum. There are hundreds of reports/forms that have accumulated since 1996 and this has happened only since the upgrade (3 weeks ago) and only a handful of times. There are about 120 people using the database and running legal docs/letters/reports from the data. We switched out the computer on the one machine and she has since not had the issue (she had it happen about 3 times). We only heard about the other one on the 13th we are upgrading that machine now. The code for the documents has not changed or been updated and worked the day previous to the upgrade. The only thing that has changed is the data in the background. That is why I thought I'd try in this forum sorry if it is the wrong place.

Have you tried Me.Requery in the form before the report is opened?

"Teamwork means never having to take all the blame yourself."

I do refresh the screen after every search. They find a record. Go to it. Go about their business. Search another record. The form refreshes then they go on. I have tried and tried to reproduce this on a few machines to no avail. Appreciate the responses!

Okay - understanding the operative word is "legal" can you give any specific examples of the situation? Data types and values on the back end and what the incorrectly displaying data is on the front end?

Also, what version of SQL Server?

I know from past experience that the slight variations in data types between SQL Server and Access have caused me some hours of grief.

No consolation, but I feel your pain with that "client-intermittent, developer-irreproducible" bug situation.

< M!ke >
[small]Where are we going and why am I in this handbasket?[/small]

I do refresh the screen

This is not the same as Requery, and repaints the screen, not refreshes the dataset.

"Teamwork means never having to take all the blame yourself."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back