Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Upgrade from Standard to Enterprise Problems

Status
Not open for further replies.
Feb 14, 2002
GB
I'm trying to upgrade my Exchange 2000 Standard server to Exchange 2000 Enterprise. I put the cd in, run setup, and then click on the option to reinstall (which as I understand is the right way to do it).

I then a get an error message that says:
"The component "Microsoft Exchange Messaging and Collaboration Services" cannot be assigned the action "reinstall" because

The local domain configuration is not up-to-date. You must run setup with the "/DomainPrep" switch within this domain. If you have already done this with the current version of setup, then you must wait for replication to complete."

Anyone any ideas, the Exchange server was originally installed two years ago, so I should imagine replication would have completed by now.

Thanks

Run forestprep then domainprep again.
Then run the reinstall.
Then run SP3 over the top again.

If you don't need MCS you could even uninstall it.

Thanks for that. Is there anything I should be concerned about when running forestprep or domainprep. I have an understanding of what these processes do, and have tested what you said on a test network (with no problems), but just wondered if there was anything else I should be careful of.

Thanks

No, it just adds a bunch of keys to the schema. I've never had a problem. But make sure you have a system state backup first / Quest AD recovery manager backup.

I would say you don't even need to /forestprep. Just running a /domainprep should suffice.

Pat Richard, MCSE(2) MCSA:Messaging, CNA(2)

I hope people are still checking this Thread out. I am getting ready to upgrade from Exchange Standard 2000 to Enterprise 2000. But the only version I can find to buy is a retail box version not an upgrade version. My question is will this still "Upgrade" my exchange with no hassle or do I have to do a "Fresh" install??? Also will my database still be in tact or do I have to start a new one. Any other tips I need to know before doing this??? Any help would be greatly appreciated and I will gladly give my e-mail to anybody who's willing...

Don't give your email out!!

Yes it will upgrade. No there is no hassle. You get a "reinstall" option when you stick the disk in. You don't need to do anything with the databases (though a backup is always a good idea!).

Takes less than 20 minutes start to finish and then reinstall latest service pack.

I've done it numerous times.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back