Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Upgrade from sql 2005 > sql 2008

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alan0568

Technical User
May 24, 2006
GB
Is there an 'in place' upgrade from sql 2005 to 2008?

The server in question uses not only the DB engine but SSRS, SSAS, SSIS & the job agent etc.

I'm guessing it will be a case of new install & re-attach all of the DB's and re-deploy SSRS, SSAS, SSIS etc from the original code (projects)?

I realise I'm going to have to do loads of reading up and preparation for this but any initial pointers would be much appreciated.

A

Yes, there is an "in place" upgrade but I would suggest only if you were upgrading DB Engine, else I would suggest a complete re-install. In 2008 there is no longer required IIS for SSRS and SSIS needs to re-deployed to 2008, and I haven’t worked on SSAS but assume you might have to make some changes to that.
As a initial step try to run the upgrade advisor and review the recommendations.
Thanks

Dr.Sql
Good Luck.

Many thanks. I agree, a re-install would be my preffered option.

As always, test on a dev and QA box before doing your production system.

Denny
MVP
MCSA (2003) / MCDBA (SQL 2000)
MCTS (SQL 2005 / SQL 2005 BI / SQL 2008 DBA / SQL 2008 DBD / SQL 2008 BI / MWSS 3.0: Configuration / MOSS 2007: Configuration)
MCITP (SQL 2005 DBA / SQL 2008 DBA / SQL 2005 DBD / SQL 2008 DBD / SQL 2005 BI / SQL 2008 BI)

My Blog

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back