Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Upgrade from Server 2000 Standard to Enterprise?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TMiyake

IS-IT--Management
Feb 6, 2002
US
We have an Exchange 2003 server with 4GB of RAM, but when I built the server I was told by the previous Exchange admin to use the Standard server license instead of the enterprise license. After troubleshooting why we weren't using all of the RAM, I found out that we need to add the /3GB switch in the boot.ini file, and you can only do that on the enterprise version of 2000 server. I don't have the hardware resources to build a new server to migrate to. Does anyone know if it is possible to upgrade from standard server to enterprise server? If not, I'm kinda screwed and I'll end up pulling the half the RAM since it's not being touched. I've been in the industry for 13 years now, and I've never upgraded the OS on a production system. I always found it cleaner to do fresh installs, but I can't do that this time.

Thanks,

Tom

Instead of trying to upgrade to 2000 Advanced server, I would suggest that you upgrade to 2003 Server Standard. It's a cleaner upgrade path and you should be able to use the /3GB switch with it. If you go this route you should also use the /userva=3030 option. See this link.

PSC

Thanks. That makes total sense. I forgot that 2003 standard can use the /3GB switch.

Thanks,

Tom

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back