Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Upgrade from Callmanager 4.x to CUCM 8.x

Status
Not open for further replies.

joey74055

IS-IT--Management
Jul 23, 2008
US
Hello and thank you for takign the time to read my question. We are upgrading from Callmanager 4.0(2a) to new hardware and the latest version. Let me throw this plan out there and please let me know if I am on track.

We have Callmanger 4.0(2a) and would like to upgrade to the newest version, at least to CUCM 8. We already have the new hardware that is compatible, smartnets and licenses. After looking at the matrix sheet it appears (there were several different upgrade routes but I could only find documentation for upgradring to 7.1(2) and 7.0(1) from 4.x so I am going with 7.1(2)) should we go:

from 4.0(2a) to 4.3(1)

from 4.3(1) to 7.1(2)

from 7.1(2) to 8.0(1)

this gets us to 8 which we can then upgrade to 8.5 or 8.6

So, we have 4 servers, 2 old (Pub, Sub) and 2 new (Pub, Sub). What is the best plan of attack here:

1) Backup 4.0(2a), then do an inplace upgrade on old hardware from 4.0(2a) to 4.3(1). Then backup 4.3(1) and do another inplace upgrade on the same server to 7.1(2). Then load 7.1(2) on the new hardware and restore backup from 7.1(2) on the old hardware. Then backup and inplace upgrade to 8.0 on the new server?

Or

2) is there any way to not have to “touch” or do an inplace upgrade on the old hardware running 4.0(2a), and just run a backup on it, load 8.5 on the new server and import the data over from the backup?

Any suggestions on a plan of attack here? I thank all of you experts in advance for your help!

you will have to go with option 1 as 2 is not really a viable solution.
Assuming that your old hardware can support 7.X (doubtful) that would be the way to go.
Going from 4 to 7 is not really an upgrade it's a rebuild since you are going from windows to linux. You will use the DMA tool to do that.
How big is your system? how many users sites? Depending on the size you might be better off building the new servers to version 8.5 and using BAT to load all the data.
I will have to assume you are a fairly small place if you are still running 4.02 which is over 6yrs old and not supported anymore.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back